There was a verse I found as a child, and I clung to it for many years later. It was from Psalm 27 verse 10. It says this, "When my father and mother forsake me, then the Lord will take care of me." A few years later I was introduced to another verse that struck my heart and all my belief systems. This one is from John. In amongst chapter 14, verse 18 says this, "I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you."
I take from just those two verses alone - for there are so many more - that God is not just God. He's a father. Not just a father. But the Father of all fathers. His love for us is completely and utterly unconditional. No strings attached. No acts or professions will earn his love. No words or decisions will win his heart. Its already won. He loves us because we are us. We are his creation. We are his children. He's a dad, that loves his kids...simply because we're his kids.
I thought of this, this afternoon as I was jumping on the trampoline with Emma, a 22 month old. She is the youngest of the three kids I live with at the moment. A gorgeous blond, blue eyed, cheeky thing. We started of with just little jumps - little for me, big for her - then I would do a slight bump and lift her into the air. She loved it. "Ready", she would say every time she wanted me to do it again. We jumped together for ages.
The whole time we were jumping together on the trampoline Emma was holding my hands. Her grip was unrelenting. Every now and then we would pause, or while in mid air I could feel as she was adjusting her small hands in mine so I have a firmer grasp on hers. After a fair while of jumping together, she let go and jumped by herself. I let her be. Then she came back to me. We jumped together a little more.
When she finally got tired she plonked herself down, I sat opposite her. We played a little game together. Then she got up jumped a little, then sat down. "Your turn now Joella" she said. Nicely surprised I got up, was able to do two small jumps. "Emma's turn now". So I sat down, and so we continued, each time I jumped when "Your turn now Joella" was said, each time I sat when it came to "Emma's turn now".
What my thoughts while having fun with Emma on the trampline were somewhat like this: I wonder if, when we're at that place of knowing and experiencing God as my Father, and me his child, that when he comes along and 'jumps on the tramp' with us do we do the same as Emma?
Thinking about it now, I think we do.
I experienced that same 'jumping' enjoyment a few weeks ago. I still do today. It is those times when my Father comes and plays with me and life is fun. The slightly overcast weather doesn't affect our 'jumping' time, nor does the wind with the slight chill to it. We're just having fun. But through this whole time, we hold His hands tightly, because we trust that He is the only one worth holding on to. Or maybe we hold on so tightly for fear of letting go and being hurt.
Every now and then we want to jump on our own, but we realise that even when someone is watching with pride, encouragement and a watchful eye, it's no fun just to jump on your own. So I come back to my Father and together we play again.
It was just my thought today as Emma and I jumped....you know the joy to the end of that play time was though?? After we played together, James and Aleisha (the other two kids) came and joined us...all four us were on the trampoline together. Take that any way you will.
So, with a quiet house, and the end to the day, a cup of tea sounds the thing.
Jo xx
No comments:
Post a Comment